The Neo Crusaders

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Neo Crusaders

Neo Crusaders Forum (City of Heroes)

On the Nephilim: An abridged historical account.

EmpyreanScion

On the Nephilim: An abridged historical account. Empty On the Nephilim: An abridged historical account.

Post  EmpyreanScion Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Eziel,

I hope this correspondance finds you well. Likely you know little of who I am or which unit I represent, so allow me to offer introduction: I am Enrael, Vanguard of the Eight Hundredth Angelic Guard and under the command of her eminence, Captain Idra. As I have recently learned that a Nephilim has been admitted into the ranks of the 'Neo Crusaders', I thought it prudent to offer some information into understanding the culture and history of our half-bretheren who have seemingly established a society right under our noses with little if any notice from Heavenly Host. I hope the information transcribed in this letter is both useful and applicable to your situation.

The information below is taken from several tomes from the library of the mages of the Order of Sevath, allowances offered by the order's Grand Librarian to replicate said passages. I also managed to find a few accounts in the archives of the Host's sortie logs. Information was also taken from the account of High Shaman Kuraash, a spiritual leader and counselor of particular note among the Nephilimic Tribes...who has proven somewhat more open in regard to speaking of his people since the discovery of the Nephilim under your supervision. Again, I hope that the information transcribed here is of use.

...Captain Idra has also asked me to add to the correspondance that the upmost should be done to ensure her son's safety...and that if any harm should come to him while under your watch (I appologize for the following, however I was ordered to transcribe this message word for word), She will personally hunt you down and split you to the waist.

Now, with that unpleasantry out of the way, please find the attached documentation...and may the Creator watch over your path.

Sincerely,

Enrael, Vanguard operative of the eight-hundredth Angelic Guard.

The following are exerpts from the tomes of the Library of Sevath. I stuck to passages I thought seemed applicable.

"...It is written in the book of Genesis, chapter six, verse two of the King James edition of the Christian Bible 'That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.' T'would appear that in the earlier days of mankind's formative years, that the Angels, the supposed representatives of the 'Creator', (an all-powerful deific entity who brought all of existance into being) began to take a certain...interest in the mortal beings they had had been issued to as protectors. Theories for such action are rampant and I shall not begin to wander into speculation, however, their offspring would be considered the first called Nephilim, and it is apparent that this cross-breeding was entirely so widespread that a formidable genetic base was established through this initial interraction, later avoiding the need for any instances of inscestual relations in order to further the development of what are now the Nephilimic Tribes of today..."

"This unfortunately is where the vast majority of my investigations end, as the Nephilim Tribes are notoriously suspicious of outsiders and in turn subbornly guarded about their histories and social foibles. However, I was able to extricate further information (though it will need to be confirmed at a later date) from one of the Guardsmen posted at the gates of the city of Ilimrah, located on a monolithic, floating land mass of cystaline formation beyond the outer boundaries of Purgatory.

I wish to pause to add that nothing I bartered to this creature will be of any significant loss to the Order of Sevath. All items were of miniscule value or note, however the guardsman seemed entirely intrigued by them, enough to part with a historical account, much to my satisfaction.

According to his knowledge, the Angels responsible for the birth of the Nephilim were swiftly punished for their transgression in cases where their actions had been seen as overly hedonistic. I have several theories as to the manner of such, however it is most likely many were simply cast down into Tartarus, where they now serve at the side of Lucifer. However, others, who had apparently embarked on this course of action out of honest attraction to their mortal partners were spared the Seraphim Council's fury, but were required to see to it that their duties to the Heavenly Host took priority over the families they had created. Furthermore, in order to not interfere with the dominion of mankind, these sons and daughters of the Angels were removed from Earth and their sires, and were placed upon the same crystaline continent previously mentioned. While the Angels saw it as a sparing them from future conflict with the races of Man, the Nephilim saw it as an abandonment, a sherking of parental duty...and in turn grew bitter toward their fathers. Over the eons, the Nephilim would begin to grow as a people, first establishing small, tribal groups before branching out and eventually hewing cities from the surprisingly malleable substance (I have, through experimentation established that the crystaline substance reacts to celestial energy, able to be shaped if enough effort is put forward)..."

"...Later it would appear that the Nephilimic Tribes began to adopt other half-breeds as well, those who had been unfortunately born both half Angel and half Demon, or half human and half Demon, the results likely of captured Angelic warriors being submitted to unwanted carnal acts or humans lured in to acts of a similar nature by demonic influence. It is my suspicion that the term 'Nephilim' no longer applies to simply that of the sons of Angels anymore, but any and all who do not fit within the boundaries of the Angel/Demon/Human paradigms..."

"As far as social organisation is concerned, I was only able to glean a little from my words with the Guardsman. There seems to be little in the means of any caste system or ridgid social organisation. In fact, I highly suspect a complete lack of any sort of Nephilimic Nobility or upper social strata beyond that of the Shamans and ruling Chieftains. Those below these ranks are simply known as 'The Bretheren' and all contribute to society in whatever way they can. There DOES however seem to be some manner of organised guard or militia present, lending to the notion that the Nephilim have adopted a rather-more militaristic view of their world, thanks in part to the majority of their celestial power being either offensive or defensive, with a few instances of dedicated healers or mesmeric ability amongst their number.

What I know for certain is that these half-breeds are not posessed of the same immortality that their forefathers are. While a Nephilimic lifespan is considerably longer than that of a human, death by old age is certainly not a matter of if, but when. As a people they seem to favor directness and honesty, showings of humility or diplomatic tact seeming to make them initially suspicious, even outright abrasive. Speaking one's mind seems to be the best course of action when dealing with the Nephilim Tribes..."

The following is a exerpt from a sortie log, the operation under the command of one Captain Tysus, a commanding officer of the 585th Empyrean Crusaders. It defines quite clearly the current diplomatic stance that the Nephilim are taking in regard to the Angelic Host. While not overly hostile, they certainly don't seem to like us much...

"-Arrived at the walls of Ilimrah ahead of shedule. Captain Tysus again affirms nature of operation: Issue summons to the Nephilimic Tribes to report to the White Fortress to be recruited as front rank for the coming war against the Infernal Legions. (Personal note: Curious about the validity of these orders. Seal does not bear emblem of the Seraphim Council.)

-Gates opened after Captain Tysus spent fifteen minutes arguing with a tower guard. Apparently the Nephilim do not simply honor authority on title alone. Repeated questioning of 'But what makes YOU so special, Feather-Features?' (Personal note: 'Feather Features' likely Nephilimic slang for Angels. Also, never seen Captain Tysus turn that shade of red before.)

-Approached by what appears to be some manner of royal guard or retinue. The Nephilimic warriors form a double file, facing inward. Many members of our group surprised by their precision.

-Finally greeted by High Chieftain Rahkaan. Tall, powerful creature. Understand now why many considered the ancient Nephilim 'giants'. Chieftain is handed the order of summons by Captain Tysus, which is read aloud by Rahkaan. Immediately able to tell this was a poor diplomatic move when greeted with the points of approximately thirty glaives. Rahkaan immediately asks who Captain Tysus is to be issuing him orders like this. Tysus retorts, saying that the authority of the Angels is absolute and that the witless, half-breed Nephilim should consider themselves honored to serve them. (Personal note: use of the term 'witless' a poor diplomatic decision. Correction: Entire operation a poor diplomatic decision. Wondering if Tysus hit his head this morning.)

-Nephilimic Chieftain seems afronted, but says nothing for a moment. Reaction to summons comes in the form of Rahkaan exessively gathering spittle in his mouth, exuding it upon the summons document and forcibly shoving it into Captain Tysus' face. Adds "THIS is what I think of your 'orders', little Angel. Begone from my city gates or I'll see your head on a pike."

-Chieftain and Guards leave. Gates close. Captain Tysus too shocked to react, though clearly affonted. (Personal note: My commanding officer is an idiot.)"

The following is a recount of a conversation I was fortunate-enough to have with Shaman Kuraash. I was curious about the term "Goldblood", having heard it during a prior encounter when Daniel Henderson's essences attempted to seperate and so I asked futher questions.

"Shaman Kuraash: You ask me what a 'Goldblood' is, Malakh? Hmm, perhaps not all of your kind are as unwise as your Captain Tysus. Few Goldbloods exist now, Malakh, because few Angels take mortal kin. They are like the Ancient Ones. Pure as a Nephilim might be. And powerful, too. However they are fragile, also. Their forms molded by their experiences in life. If not properly guided, their essences can split apart, like oil and water seperating in a jar, shattering the being that they are. However, none can deny their importance, Malakh.

Enrael: Though that does beg me to ask: Why are the Goldbloods so important to the Nephilim?

SK: You ask dangerous questions, Malakh. You pry too deeply where you should not.

E: I'm merely curious. By Captain Idra's account, the moment you found out he was the direct descendant of an Angel you were swift to move to his aid. What is Daniel to you?

SK: He is hope, Malakh. Guidance. A light house in a stormy sea. Through his eye we might see the whims of that even the Creator fears. Twisting and writhing in it's prison.

E: I certainly hope you don't mean to devoid him of his eyes. I imagine those closest to him might have issue with that.

SK: Figure of speech, Malakh. And as much as I might fear earning the ire of his mother, I fear more earning the ire of the one grows close to him... Besides! He is one of The Bretheren. We look OUT for our own. We are unity, we are Nephilim.

E: Interesting...And what of this thing the Creator fears? What is it, persay?

SK: You ask too much, Malakh. I will speak to you no more. Return now to where came from...and take that dithering mouse of a mage with you. He is too polite, probably hiding something...

E: Well, thank you for your time, I suppose.

SK: Malakh?

E: Yes?

SK? A word of advice for your Captain: There is no such thing as 'too late'. Her influence will make him strong, wise. Honorable.

E: I'll be sure to pass that on. Again, thank you for your time, Kuraash.

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 8:07 pm